Thursday, October 18, 2012

SHINee 'Dazzling Girl' Thoughts

 

Okay, let me state this for the record: I am a SHINee fan. I like a few groups from Korea and other parts of Asia and of course have favorites in America, but I am not the type of fan to love everything that an artist or group does, simply because that artist or group did it. That being said, please do not hate on ME just because I did not like this ONE song and video from SHINee.

Why didn't I like it? Honestly, there were a few things. 
First of all, the song was cute but the hook 'dazzling girl' just annoys me, I can't put my finger on why. SHINee has always been a Pop act but what made me like them from that first song Noona, was the bits of R&B and heavier beats and bass-lines. If the song wasn't going to wow me musically, I was thinking that their voices would do the job. Once again I was disappointed. If I hadn't watched that video, I'm not sure I would have been able to recognize their voices. They didn't get the chance to show off their beautiful voices either! This song was lacking that in a serious way. I was like a fairytale (all softness and fantasy but no substance to keep you coming back), which they tried to play up in the video, but it's just not to my taste. I'm sure there are millions of people who really liked the song, I just don't happen to be one of them.

Secondly, the lack of rich color in the video. I never thought about it when I was watching other artists, but a lot of Japanese music videos lack rich colors. I guess it really hit home because this is SHINee and they are usually always so colorful. I actually looked forward to it.

Thirdly, EMI Music Japan only released the short version of the video. I don't like when companies do that.

I guess my biggest complaint is simply that this isn't the SHINee that I'm used to. I know that people and artists can't keep doing the same things over and over again, but I still feel at a loss. I didn't get to see a crazy complicated new dance, I didn't see weird-but-it-somehow-works outfits, and I didn't hear great vocals or a cool rap. What did I get? Short hair, plumes of feathers and fur on their collars and bright smiles, which is one thing that didn't change. :)
Unfortunately that isn't enough to make me listen to the song or watch the video for a third time. I'm looking forward to their next release, hopefully they'll get some of their spark back.

No comments:

Post a Comment