Monday, October 29, 2012

Arang and the Magistrate (AatM) First Impression

xiaohun tumblr
I started watching this show when it came out and was interested in seeing Jun Ki again after his army service. I even intended to post about it:



'Arang and the Magistrate' (AatM)
Wasn’t sure I was going to watch this show even though I’ve seen  Jun Ki and Min Ah in one other shows, 'My Girl' and 'My Girlfriend Is A Gumiho'. Jun Ki although cute, wasn’t very impressive skill wise in his show, and Min Ah has already starred in a supernatural show. How is a supernatural seguek supposed to work out?? What made me give this a chance so soon? The comments I’ve seen posted in various places about how much people liked this show.
I had to stop the first episode half way through because, no matter what happens in the next thrity minutes, I will be watching the second episode. AatM did two things successfully and quickly to capture my attention. The first is the visuals. So far I’ve seen the Korean version of Olympus and the colors costumes and setting are in a word : sumptuous, I want to see more of this world the show makers are setting up. The second thing that they’ve done is to make my think about the world in a different way. I’ve seen gods holding the world on the palm of their hand, hoisted onto their backs and so on, but this is the first time I’ve seen a god “water” the world that grows from the back of a lamb. The ultimate Chia Pet.
I wonder what other quirky little twists this show has in store, and I’m anxious to find out.

But then, I would get caught up in other shows like 'Queen of SOP' and '3 Golden Men', and before I knew it, AatM was coming to it's last couple of episodes!
Finally, I decided to sit and watch episode 5 yesterday (yes...pathetic how far behind I was considering I saw the premiere), and NOW? I have to say that no matter what, I will probably finish this show in the coming weekend. It's as if the writers kicked the show into high gear after episode 4. There are points in the episode that I'm sure it's the end, because it's a great place to leave me at a cliff hanger, only I hit the time bar and there's twenty minutes left. In those twenty minutes we're swept farther away and the actual cliff hanger has me hitting the button for the next episode with haste.
This show is actually just in time for Halloween, meaning it's a little scary. I stopped at the end of episode 7 last night because it was already pretty late and I was watching alone. I didn't want to watch something that would creep me out too much before bed. The music doesn't help either, menacing and gripping, ethereal and sweet, it does it all.
TGIF! I can't wait to pop the corn tonight!!! Happy Watching :)

No comments:

Post a Comment