Wednesday, January 16, 2013

'Mine' MV from Kim Jae Joong



Screenshot from Mine MV



This is the very first solo single and mv combo from Kim JaeJoong (the first single was ‘One Kiss’), and as a fan of almost five years, I had high expectations. What genre of music was he going to come out with? What sort of concept? I worried and anticipated. Finally, earlier today, the MV premeired.

At first I was drawn in with the rough, almost desperate sounding vocals, because JJ usually sounds so smooth and romantic. The heavy guitar riffs give the song a gritty feel.

Then the visuals of the video started to make an impact. Lost in a barren forest, and chained up unable to speak because of the muzzle put on him. Then he breaks the chains and casually throws them over his shoulder as if to say ‘What’s next?’. He runs through a flock of Ravens (a bird that feasts on corpses and symbolizes death to some), when he comes out on the other side he’s stronger and a predator (vampire and snake lover) in his own right, with his own space where he sprouts the wings of an owl (a bird of prey which is considered a symbol of wisdom).

Finally, the lyrics. They are filled with pain and again a bit of desperation. With lines like “You’re terrible, it’s like you’re diseased”, “Don’t come here, this is my ocean”, and “Don’t block out the sun that shines on me”. I read that the songs for this album ‘I’ were all written by JJ himself and reflect his inner feelings and thoughts. How much did he go through, to have written these lyrics??

I think everything was done so well for this. The colors were dark and minimal; the concept was consistent and created a contrast between anything I’ve ever seen him in previously, and his beautiful voice giving off emotions that I’ve never heard from him. This is the sort of thing that makes me happy that I’m already a fan. I hate feeling like I’m jumping on a band-wagon, but with no shame and with the knowledge of a long-time fan, I can confidently say that I LOVE this song and video.

If you haven’t watched it so far, please feel free to do so now.





No comments:

Post a Comment