Friday, January 4, 2013

King of Dramas Info and First Impressions

Picture Source: King of Dramas Official Page on SBS website


Starring: Kim Myung Min as Anthony Kim the Producer
                  Jung Ryeo Won as Lee Go Eun the Writer
                  Choi Si Won as Kang Hyun Min to Actor
Studio: SBS
Writer: Jang Hang Jun (also wrote 2009 show 'Harvest Villa')
Episodes: 18
Premise: A drama that follows an idealistic writer, a hardened producer and a hot actor as they navigate to world of drama production.
Spoilers Ahead.
The drama opens with a writer who is being pressured to write a scene in a revenge drama that includes the main character drinking orange juice before killing himself. She thinks the request made by the producer, Anthony Kim, is ridiculous , (who drinks  orange juice before commiting suicide?!) and refuses to write the scene. Her assistant, Go Eun, is then tricked into writing the missing product placement scene while working alongside Anthony, who only cares for the outcome in ratings, not the quality of the show, or the people surrounding it.
When their plan ends in tragedy, and 30% ratings, Anthony is put in a situation that even his fast talking won’t easily solve.
I am King!
I have to say bravo for creating a  scandal, not only in the first episode, but also one that makes sense. If, for example, we heard that Steven Speilberg paid a worker to transport his film over a three hour distance in only one hour, then when the worker was in an accident, Mr. Speilberg called an ambulance, but left the worker on the side of the road to his death, I seriously doubt people would just over look it.  I know if I heard of it, I wouldn’t just be like ‘Oh well, at least the movie was good’.

Gotta Go Dude!
So, I’m saying that finally, in a drama about making dramas, the writers put in an appropriate scandal to upset the public and possibly ruin Anthony's career, not just another secret romance scandal that, seriously, no one cares about as long as both people are of age and consent.
From the dialogue, music and camera angles, this may be a little bit makjang, but I’m not complaining so far. There were some moments that even though this is the first episode, I was nervous for the characters.
Anthony is mostly all a-hole from what you see in the first episode and from the ending of the episode, I think I’ll be happy to see him fall on his behind, so that he can grow up to be a human being.

*Side note Kim Myung Min's voice is pretty deep and it surprised me when I first heard it, off the top of my head I think I can only name two other KDrama actors with deep voices. It’s so rare.*
I’m loving the early stages of Go Eun's personality. She’s nice, and courteous for the most part, but cross the line and watch out! This is a character that I can relate to, not everyone is all sweetness or all spice, some of us are a bit of both.


Orange Juice just for you!!!

I have no idea, if this show will keep going with the positive elements that it’s presented, but I’m willing to continue watching to find out.

NOTE:  All photos besides the poster picture, are screen caps from the first episode of King of Dramas.

No comments:

Post a Comment